Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thrifty Thankgiving Center Piece


I sort of stumbled onto the idea for this blog today when I was scavenging through the house looking for a Thanksgiving center piece. I realized not only didn't I have a table cloth, but something to put on the table as a decorative piece. With my husband being laid off, I knew better then to hold my hand out for even a few bucks to purchase something. So I decided to......let the creativity flow!

I'm not much of a foo foo girl; more like casual chic and I love natural elements. So I stood and stared out through my back window trying to absorb some inspiration from my yard. I spotted a pot and sticks from the tree we trimmed out front. I found an old silk arrangement in the garage, a vase of pussy willows in the kitchen, and two bunches of dry died leaves that I purchased for $1.00 ea. at "Michaels" on sale. I knew this was only the beginning to a very long hot glue gun journey!

My first step was to play with the sticks, finding the perfect heights and sizes to make the shape I've envisioned. Then I tore apart all the arrangements I found, washed them, and cut them into individual pieces with a pair of dykes. Then I started to glue the silk artichokes onto the blunt ends of the sticks being careful to keep balance in mind. You can use just about any type of fruits or vegetables like apples, grapes or even acorns.

Next I glued the leaves on that I steamed and ironed to make flat. Try to reserve each branch for only I particular element, if you have a gardenia leaf on one stick don't glue a pussy willow on it too. It'll just look messy and unorganized. After an hour went by my arrangement became very full, I needed to make the decision to continue or to stop and keep it simple.

The bigger and fuller it is the more elegant it's going to be, so Idid a couple of quick touch ups and ended it there.....right at simple.

As for the table cloth.....I didn't have any that resembled thanksgiving or fall, for that matter. I then picked two that I already had, starched and ironed them. I found some dish towels that were fall colors and ironed them also. Once I layered them onto the table I wasn't quite happy with the outcome but I really had no choice.

I figured I'd do a mock set up to get a better feel for it. Once I placed my pretty new center piece and dishes on the table, it all came together. I'm super happy and in love with the results. Our table feels warm and comfortable just the way I like it. On Thanksgiving day I'll add some finishing touches like mason jars with tea lights in them, they'll contrast nicely along with brightening the table.
Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving full of loving memories!

2 comments:

  1. i love it... you should get into something like this and start selling... you are awesome at it. love you

    ReplyDelete